A Short History of St Thomas’ Church

The Domesday book of 1086 records Chevithorne as being one of the Manors within Tiverton. At this time there was one large parish based around St Peter’s, served – from the 12th century – by three or four priests, each responsible for his own “portion” of the parish. In time, small chapels were built in the outlying areas. Renowned architect William Burges was commissioned to design a vicarage here in 1869. Today, the church forms part of the benefice of Tiverton St Peter’s and Chevithorne with Cove.