A short history of St Peter’s Church, Tiverton
Founded in 1073 by Bishop Leofric, first Bishop of Exeter, St. Peter’s has been the centre of the civic life of Tiverton and still serves as the site for the town-wide celebrations of Remembrance Day and Mayor’s Sunday. In times of celebration or sadness, Tiverton turns to St. Peter’s. The church’s Grade 1 listing derives primarily from the beauty and historic significance of the Greenway Chapel. John Greenway is buried in the church, along with several other 16th century cloth merchants, men who were vital to the growth and commercial success of the town. The building varies in age from a Norman door to a 15th century bell tower, the 16th century Greenway Chapel and a Victorian restoration of the nave.